Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Blogging can be a pain in the ass

Yes, Blogging is essential to stay in front of your audience, but I have to say that blogging can be a pain in the ass to keep up. Yes, I get all the social media- since I work in media- but seriously, when you spend an entire day writing, working in the book industry, trying to come up with topics to speak about can be a nightmare. I spend half my day looking at leads for my clients, trying to write media savvy topics and headlines and arranging book events and getting through the red tape with dozens of people. The last thing I feel like doing is blogging about the latest tips and tricks in my industry. I mean, I've just spent 6 hours doing exactly that.
I hand out tips to clients on what they can blog about- and many of them do just that and are seeing results. But for me? It's really tough to come up with new ideas when I've spent the entire day doing just that.

It might be different if I wasn't essentially a one woman show running my own business. I write blogs for other people- it's a craft and a very popular way to keep a business ahead of the competition- and really, how many CEO's do you know that actually write their own blog? Many profitable and cutting edge companies have assistants and paid bloggers to keep up to date. Well, I don't have the luxury of doing that, and yet, I have to practice what I preach.Because it can make a difference to your business.

So, as of today, I will do my best to at least update once in awhile ( not just press releases) and see what I can accomplish here on my blog. But be warned- it might not always be about publicity. Maybe it might be about my dogs, or my favourite chip flavour ( salt & vinegar). Just because....blogging can be a pain in the ass.



No comments: