Thursday, February 25, 2010

It;s A Dog Eat Dog World- wonky ear

My dog Daisy gets what I like to call Wonky Ear. Every now and again for some reason, one of her ears won't stand up straight. Her head will tilt sideways and she'll try to shake it to get it to work. There's no reason for it happening, it just happens and there's nothing she can do about it.
That's how writing works for me. Every now and again my writing gets derailed and I have no idea how to fix it.
That's what happened with Lucy's story. I was clicking along without any problems, and then WHAM- out of nowhere I hit a block and everything just went a little wonky.
Everyone who writes goes through this. I'm certainly not alone in this part of the process. But what amazed me was how long the wonkiness lasted. It was almost a year before I could get back into the flow of the writing.
It was ridiculous. I just couldn't get the magic back.

Where had the magic disappeared to? Why had I crashed and burned? Nothing made sense.
I just couldn't get into the writing zone. That moment when your hand just writes for you and you have no sense of time, and it doesn't feel like work. All of that was gone.

I was desperate to fix everything. And then one day, all of a sudden,  it was back...Lucy decided she was tired of all the procrastination and  told me to get my ass back in gear.
So I gave my head a good shake, and got rid of the wonky ear.
And then came the day I finished it. Would it work?

No comments: