Sunday, February 21, 2010

It's a Dog Eat Dog World- part two- finding the right bark

So this book that I am trying to sell is about my dog Lucy.
It's no secret, I talk about it all the time- everyone knows that Lucy's book is top of my list and I've already generated publicity about this book- even though no one has bought it yet.

Some writers are very careful about talking too much about their work. I think some are very superstitious. They are afraid that the magic will disappear if they give too much away, or that someone might not think their idea is very good.

Some writers are scared that someone else might steal their idea, but they forget that an idea may be stolen, but the way that it's told is uniquely your own talent. So it really doesn't matter if they take your idea. It's your voice that is going to make the difference so I say talk about it! (But then again, I'm a publicist- so that's what I do all the time anyway!)

Lucy's story is truly unique and no one is going to have the same one, so I'm safe. For those of you who don't know her, she is an amazing border collie/whippet cross- we call her a bippet and she was adopted from the Humane Society in Edmonton almost 13 years ago. She was five months old and my sister and I really wanted a dog. We went to the shelter and there she was. Her four little legs sticking out through the bars, a stubby little tail, square teeth and beautiful old soul eyes.
To make a long story short- the perfect pal.
In 2004, she was electrocuted on the streets of Edmonton in a snow bank that had stray voltage running through it. She died for 10 seconds and came back.

That's the focus of my book- and it's been the hardest thing I've ever written.
The idea to write the book came from a series of letters/emails that I sent my sister while she was on a long trip. She wanted to know how the dogs were doing while she was away, so I started writing in their voices to discuss their daily activities. Over time, the voices became very distinctive- a clipped, princess like voice for Lucy, a high pitched quick voice for Daisy, and a slower, but intellectual voice for Pumpkin.
It became fun writing their stories everyday, and that's when the idea of writing a book came to me.

I'm not sure when I made the decision to focus on Lucy's story in particular, but hers was pretty spectacular, so i thought it would be good to have her be the centre of attention.

Finding the right bark to tell the story was going to prove incredibly difficult, and I had no idea just how painful the process would be.

No comments: