Monday, October 27, 2008

Dark Hallways

Scene: New office space
Location: Hallway
Setting: Very dark, the lights aren't working. Only the illumination of faint light from the bathrooms down the hall, next to impossible to see anything.
Action:
I came out of my office door to find a man lying on the floor in front of me. He was wearing a heavy jacket, a winter one with a white stripe down the back. Startled I leaned down to him cautiously and asked if he was alright. He didn't answer. Slowly he started to stand up and I moved back against the wall unsure of his movements.
He stood, tipping slightly, eyes closed and unresponsive. I touched his shoulder and repeated my inquiry, thinking that he was either ill or drunk-not sure which. He stood, and I could just make out vague whispers but not being able to see or hear him I asked again if he needed assistance.
Then suddenly he was prostrate on the floor again. And I knew.
" Oh!" I exclaimed and quickly went through the other office door.
A few minutes later he knocked on the door and apologized for praying in the hallway.
I apologized for not recognizing the ritual, but it was extremely dark.

The next day the landlord put new lights in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ya gotta love life...full of mysteries.